Wednesday, September 16, 2015

This Is Great, You Guys!

189!!!
Okay, that may be TMI, but you have to understand . . . this is the first time in the past three years that my weight has been less than 190 pounds. And that’s three pounds off in four days!
I told you yesterday that this new diet isn’t about losing weight, but hey, am I complaining? I DON’T THINK SO!
For some of you, 189 pounds is nothing to get excited about. But I’m 5’11” and I was up to 198 at one point. Do you realize that those are the same kind of numbers as half of the Tennessee Titans? You don’t know what it’s like to hear the announcers for the game calling out the stats for the team and announcing, “And here’s Bruno Johnson, 5’11” and 198 pounds!” and I’m thinking, “Hey, that’s me!!” No fun, you guys . . . no fun at all.
So 189? I’ll take it!
Meanwhile, I’m adjusting to eating differently. Shopping differently? That’s another matter!
We just moved into a condo and we live within three minutes of a super-Kroger marketplace. They sell everything from produce to shoes to pillows to baby clothes . . . no kidding! They have a wonderful health food section where I can find lots of great cereals, snacks, and other additions to my grocery cart. But once I enter the main shopping area? Yikes!! I’m bombarded with everything from an in-store Starbucks (Danger, Will Robinson!!) to ice cream to Pop-Tarts. It’s a land-mine city!
The trick, I’ve found, is to have my grocery list in front of me and to stick to it. No creative shopping allowed! There are plenty of good foods that will help keep me strong and restore me to my best health . . . I just have to seek those out and then head for the door!
So I have plenty of good foods around the house . . . apples, bananas, almonds, gluten-free crackers, almond butter, lite vanilla soy milk, stevia for my coffee and tea, oranges, sparkling water, and so forth . . . I never get hungry! And I have lots of veggies to cook up with coconut oil . . . delish!
By the way, if you want a wonderful way to cook salmon (one of the healthiest foods you can add to your diet once a week): Put some fresh rosemary in the bottom of a pan. Lay a salmon steak or slices of salmon on top. Cover with slices of onion (whatever kind is your fave), then bake at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon. The aroma of the rosemary and onion adds an amazing flavor to your salmon. Enjoy!
Well, I’m going to wrap this up so I can go for a walk. (Friends from TCC will enjoy that little phrase—wrap this up—and will expect someone somewhere to go to the piano.) I’m praying that on this, Day #5, I will be feeling well enough tonight to attend orchestra practice at church. It’s been months since I didn’t have fibromyalgia or a headache by 5:00 in the evening. I look forward to the first Wednesday evening that I’m able to rejoin my friends where I love to serve and fellowship in a musical act of praise to our Heavenly Father.
My prayer for all of you is that you would be doing whatever it takes to increase your ability to serve. That is what we are called to do. Jesus began his ministry on earth by calling his disciples to become fishers of men. He ended his ministry on earth by anointing all of us as his followers to go, teach, baptize, and love.

Go share the love.


No comments: