Thursday, January 15, 2015

Across the Generations

Music runs through my veins. Anyone who knows me knows that.

Give me a topic and I can name three songs with that in their title or lyrics. Give me a line from a song (especially if it's from the '60s, '70s, or '80s) and I can name that tune. I can sing along with any song from those decades...especially in the car where no one else can hear me and correct the lyrics that may or may not be right but have worked for me all these years.

Music has a special place in my heart and soul and always has since I was just a toddler. I grew up on it.

Music evolves and expands. Some genres evolve more quickly and some forms of music seem to spring up out of nowhere and then stick around, gradually influencing other genres of music. Generation to generation, we all find our own voice and our own form of expression, we music lovers and music makers.

One thing that never changes is the word of God. Oh, we have various translations now. We go back and find a better way to interpret the original text for today's language. And we discover better ways to understand how to place the original writings in their historical context. But the message never changes.

The very best part of the Scripture that never changes are the words of Jesus. They always ring true and always reach straight through to our hearts, no matter our age, no matter the decade in which we live. Why is that?

Jesus spoke to all people. His message was for everyone, regardless of culture, social status, sex, age, race, ability, or anything else society would use to define us. And it was for all time...as we know it. He spoke in stories that everyone could understand. He spoke of love, grace, and redemption. He knew his message would bring controversy and division and he addressed that too. But he promised a Comforter, and we can all receive that message.

Musical preferences separate people by age, geography, culture, and other demographics. The word of God unites us as we read words that say, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). Words of love, hope, and grace will always bring us together.

Actually, I can think of one song that is timeless and seems to reach everyone in our country:

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found; was blind, but now I see.


No comments: